Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Winter's Story

As I mentioned before, my eldest son Winter has been diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder--Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS), which is on the high-functioning end of the Autism Spectrum.  When he was about 2yo some developmental delays were noticed, such as avoidance of eye-contact, speech delay, and certain behavioural characteristics.  It was then that we started a long and arduous process of research, visits with doctors, therapists, and other professionals, as we sought to correct his behaviours with early identification and intervention.

It was suspected almost from the beginning of this process that Winter was Autistic.  When the possibility was first broached I felt a mix of emotion: disbelief--my bright little boy couldn't possibly be autistic! he's too smart!  I felt relieved that there might possibly be a reason other than poor parenting skills for my son's behaviours; and I felt angry at others' inability to see him and understand him the way that I do.

Eventually Winter was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder; and then later with the PDD-NOS.  We did in-home developmental therapy when he was 2.  Ages 3 and 4 found us in speech therapy, and participating in a local government-run preschool-program (against my personal belief that home is the best place to learn).  Then we tried occupational therapy for a while.

Then, when nothing seemed to help, and the professional community had diminished my confidence in my parenting abilities to practically nothing, I walked away from it all.  After all of that work and stress, the best the professionals could offer was to put him in public school.  Are you kidding me?!

So I left it all behind.  I retreated to my wooded hillside, where we lived five miles from town and the nearest neighbour half a mile away.  I steadfastly refuse to put my kids into public school--especially Winter, who is overwhelmed by the classroom setting and large crowds.  I just knew--still KNOW--that he would not flourish in that sort of environment. 

Somewhere along the way--maybe it was the life I lived for 5yrs in the woods--with no plumbing, no neighbours, few friends, and little help--that gave me my self-confidence and can-do attitude.  I hauled water up out of an old farm-well with a 5-gallon bucket on a rope in order to water my garden, I had free-range chickens, and I spent long afternoons hiking the hillside with Winter and Summer.  Winter revelled in the freedom to play as he pleased, telling himself stories (he could talk quite well at this point, concerns of speech problems had evaporated, he'd "graduated" from speech therapy) as he stood on the picnic table using it as a stage, or in front of a mirror so that he might see how his actions looked.

I researched autism, special education and learning styles, and utilized various methods to support Winter's education, the most effective tool being the PEC system and a curriculum that relied heavily on visual images and representations.  We've used picture-schedules, picture-lists, picture note-cards and reminders, and more, since he was a toddler.  As he grew into a school-aged boy I invested in manipulatives and curriculum supplies, based on what I thought might work best for us, but it turns out that the things that work best for us are the curricula and tools that I design myself with Winter's specific interests, strengths, and abilities in mind.  That was how the Earth-Studies Units came to exist (more about that another time).

Here we are now, almost through our first official year of homeschooling, and Winter, while he still has his good days and bad days, is thriving.  He is reading at a strong third-grade level, he can add numbers, measure, tell time to the hour, and his handwriting is much improved.  He can identify animals, bugs, birds, frogs, animal tracks, and can tell you about the big bang, evolution, and volcanoes.  He enjoys doing science experiments.  He can interact with other children and adults on an appropriate level (depending on how his day is going), and he no longer has a melt-down every time I try to take him into Wal-Mart or the grocery store.  We can drive from one place to another without him loosing it because I "went the wrong way", I can sing along to music on the radio again, and I can crack a joke and laugh at myself without always hearing "No Mom! Stop!"

That's not to say that he never has a bad day any more.  When the day comes that life is just too much, too overwhelming, too chaotic--Winter looses control and the house is in turmoil as we all try to cope with his behaviour and actions.  Living with a child like Winter is not easy; it takes extra-effort for all involved in that child's life.  Each child learns in his own way, has his own "sensory-issues", and learning preferences, but if you maintain your self-confidence an keep trying again and again, you will learn what he needs in order to be able to grow and excel, no matter what his deficiencies.  And I think that's true for every individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment